Skip to main content

The Donovan Story

Balneario Camboriu, SC, Brazil, Dec. 16th, 2012

Here’s the story: Donovan Frankenreiter was playing a free show today on the beach near where I am living in Southern Brazil. He hit the stage with his guitarist soon after I got there, but they couldn’t get the show started. Apparently there was no sound check, and nothing was working. There was no sound coming out of the guitars, and the microphones were feeding back like crazy.


The musicians and sound crew were getting visibly frustrated with the situation and with each other. There was a beach full of people waiting for him to start, and after about 15 minutes of confusion, not to mention some stormy clouds gathering overhead, I went up to the front and offered to help. Some of my friends were backstage, so they let me past the fence. After hearing me speak in English, Donovan called me over and said, “Hey man, do you speak Portuguese?” I said yes, and he said, “Do you know how to run sound? OK. Make it sound good out there.”

As a somewhat seasoned live sound guy, I identified the major problems and we got the show up and running. There were cheers all around, lots of high fives and hugs. With my newfound folk hero status as the “savior of the show”, I snuck some friends into the backstage area and enjoyed a few free beers. The clouds above cleared on cue. Mission accomplished.

But wait, there’s more!

For what is to be the last song of his set, Donovan starts playing “It Don’t Matter”. Towards the end of the song, he asks the audience if anyone wants to come up and sing with him. I get pushed to the stage, and he calls me up. “This guy saved the show!”, he says to the audience. He turns to me and tells me, “Wait till I tell you to start.” He brings the song down, real low. He keeps it there. He gives me the nod. As I sing the first notes of the chorus, I think it’s safe to say most people are in shock, including Donovan.

I’m pretty sure the common sentiment from the crowd was, “Whoa, I can’t believe this Japanese guy can actually sing!” (note: all Asian-looking people in Brazil are assumed to be Japanese, and it's hard to convince people otherwise). Donovan takes off his sunglasses and tells me to put them on. “They’re yours”, he says. He tells me to keep singing, and we end the song together with a half-tempo refrain. “If it don’t matter to you, it don’t matter….TOOOO….MEEEEEEE”. I exit stage right to the pleasant sound of flabbergasted adoration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semester at Sea: Nassau, Bahamas

Day 1 Semester at Sea Depart Norfolk, VA for Nassau, Bahamas. Matt, Peg, and Berna toured the ship with me. Couldn’t believe There are 22 work study students like me. There are three Jessicas. Crew is very nice, mostly from Philippines and Jamaica. Had a jam session with another guitarist (teacher’s son named Matt) and a pianist (videographer named Garrett). Transformed my radio into a guitar amp in my room and played for a while before going to sleep, boat rocking but I feel fine. Day 2(Wednesday, August 28): Lat 28º 52.44N Long 076º 16.78W En route to Bahamas. Woke up to see interminable ocean landscape rushing by my window. My room is 3075 (3rd deck, starboard, right around the middle). Worked out a little bit after breakfast, can’t believe I’m out here. Students are all very nice, made some friends already. Work study task of the day was to make magnetic name cards for all the student’s cabins. ... Played some songs for friends, talked to Jack (exec dean) during dinner, fee

Brasil: Primeira Semana

Festa Junina!!!!!! Celebrating the rural culture of Brasil (including dirty mustaches and unibrows) Mini Tien Concert (Mic Stand: Lucas) I'm having the time of my life. I didn't know what night life meant before this trip....seldom has the party ended before 5 a.m. I've met so many wonderful people, everyone is ridiculously hospitable and nice, and my portuguese is improving every day. 9 de Julho: (Rio de Janeiro) took the bus from GIG airport into Leblon. Called Felipe and Renato. Felipe met me at post 12 on Leblon beach. Renato picked us up, ate some Arabic food and had some mate tea. Met Felipe's family at their condo in Alto Leblon. Went to the lagoa (lake), then a Forro (traditional dance/music) club in Lapa (artsy area in Rio, lots of artists, musicians. Love it!). Learned to dance a bit. 10 de Julho: (Rio) got my cell phone working. Went on a walk, took a nap, ventured to Lapa on my own. Saw a band playing in a restaurant, met the guitar player, danced with so

Tien Beat - Summer '10

TIEN BEAT - SUMMER '10 Dear Friends, Today I encountered a group of children on the metro and they referred to me as "mister". Clearly I have entered the next stage of my life. Yes, I have turned 23 years old, and the first month or so of my 24th year has been quite pleasant, thank you very much! I had a very nice trip to Maryland, during which I attended my sister's graduation from medical school, played 2 shows in Easton, ate a lot of crabs, helped my sister move to Cleveland (her surgical residency starts soon at the Cleveland Clinic), hung out in Chicago, and returned to Los Angeles, without taking a single shower (almost true). I've moved out of yet another apartment in Los Angeles. I loved Echo Park, the culture, the music, the authentic Mexican tastes of the taco trucks, and so much more, but I did not love the smell of whatever died under the room I was renting, nor was I enamored of the fleas. On May 14th, I graduated from the University of Southern