Skip to main content

Semester at Sea: Days 11-15


Day 11 (Friday Sept 5, 2008)
Woke up to sounds of crew banging on doors and yelling.

It’s Neptune Day.

Which means: King Neptune has decided we must be initiated in order to cease our land loving ways and become true shellbacks.

Which means: We go up to the pool deck, where the crew, dressed up in togas and aluminum foil helmets, spills mysterious rancid-smelling fish juice over our heads, one by one.

For the willing, a head-shaving ritual, in which I participated. Brazil in two days.

Day 12 (Saturday Sept 6, 2008)
We will be arriving in Salvador tomorrow morning. I think I will be exploring with my roommate and his friends. I fear I have been a little antisocial the past few days, evidenced by lack of any established “crew”, but I guess I’ve been trying to avoid societal overload. Classes are going well.
Really excited about the churrascurias (brazilian all you can eat barbecue)! Always a hit in the states, can’t wait to have the real thing. Had our pre-port meetings, lots of warnings about excessive drunkenness and pickpockets. Lots of advice concerning the wonders of pepto bismol.
Now the fun really begins.
Day 13 (Monday Sept 8, 2008)
Lat 12º 58.2 S Long 038º 30.8W

SALVADOR, BRAZIL

Had the perfect day. Hung out with crew at a bar in Rio Vermilho last night, and met a bunch of Brazilians. Vanessa, Veronica, Maucha, Luana, Tiago, Michel, some other folks. Struck up conversation and had a great time. Talked to Maucha most of the time, she is from out of town, in Salvador for a student movement against current president Da Silva. Talked about capitalism, Obama, and various other things. Had brazilian barbecue earlier in the day, acai fruit bowl (awesome), caju juice (from the cashew fruit), frutarosca (fruity mixed drink) with kiwi, was the best at the bar. Agreed to meet Veronica and Vanessa today at 8 am to go to the beach. Steven came with, Tiago also showed up, awesome because he speaks pretty good English and has a car, and happens to be one of the friendliest person I’ve ever met. Vanessa and Veronica only in town for a couple days, not from Salvador. Veronica and Tiago having a fling, very cute. Went to a couple sightseeing places, a run down building, a big jesus statue, a lighthouse/fort, then went to the Baja beach. Swam to a canoe anchored pretty far out, got buried in sand, said hi to some other SAS folk that were there. Played guitar, listened to my cd in Tiago’s car, cruised around for a while. Then went to get lunch at a fast food place (sandwich hall?). Then went to Tiago’s beach house, very cool, danced in the yard to music playing from his little Renault. Broke open coconuts and drank the juice. Creo dance very explicit. Will go back out with them tonight.

Day 14 (Tuesday Sept 9 2008) SALVADOR

Missed my kindergarten trip this morning. Oh well, so exhausted from past two days. Yesterday was the perfect day, really can’t imagine a better way to experience Brazil. Alas, now our friends must return to work and school, so I will resume my touristy wanderings. Last night we went back to the bar, but it was boring, Monday nights are pretty slow, but then we drove for a while to another place, a vibrant streetside samba joint with some afro-brazilian spiritual (condomble) vibes. Tiago’s childhood friend Alex was with us, along with Vanessa and Veronica. Alex looked like Roger Federer. Had an amazing night.

I’ve learned a lot from our Brazilian friends. I thought I lived for the moment, but they really exude a genuine love for life. Tiago’s generosity and hospitality were astounding. And the girls, they were beautiful, caring, and sincere in everything that they did.

Day 15 Wednesday September 10, 2008

Yesterday went to mall and grocery store. Generic. At night, walked into upper city (have to take a huge public elevator to get there from port) with huge SAS group. Drum corps in the street, lots of dancing. Broke off with Jackie, Mallory, and Andy to find something else. Lured into a nascent concert, danced all night. Met Tomas and Mustache, Tomas from Salvador but lived in LA for 12 years. Mustache his strange old friend.

Went to Itaparica island/beach today with Jackie. Took ferry, happened across Tierney and Becca, took a cab to the beach. Raining on and off, no one at the restaurant besides us. Had some drinks, played a little guitar, Marcelo our waiter. We walked into the forest trying to get across the river to resort with lots of hollering (later found out to be club med), couldn’t cross, came back to find a bunch of SAS staffers at the restaurant. Went swimming, played frisbee in the water. Very shallow, waves break 200 yards out at least. Hoping to find a churrascuria tonight.

Met Pedro tonight, amazing guitarist in guitar store. Knows all the musicians in Salvador. Walked around, sang with one of his friends, Ana, at her concert. Faked Stevie Wonder tunes. Ran into Lobo, the guy we saw playing the first night, playing in front of a café. Ended up at a bar, walked home with two SAS kids, almost got mugged on the way back by a street urchin with a cement block, but luckily a taxi driver came up to shoo him away. Didn’t really know what to do, kind of scary. Will meet up with Pedro tomorrow morning.

Comments

Unknown said…
hey tien! sounds like you are having a great time, pat and i are thinking of you and hope that you enjoy the rest of your semester at sea. love reading your blog, thanks for keeping us updated on how things are going!
Audrey Lois said…
Hi Tien: Great blog you have there! Erin says that she and Corey will be seeing you soon!!!
Audrey
Sue said…
Hey are ya busy or what? We need an updete!

Popular posts from this blog

Semester at Sea: Nassau, Bahamas

Day 1 Semester at Sea Depart Norfolk, VA for Nassau, Bahamas. Matt, Peg, and Berna toured the ship with me. Couldn’t believe There are 22 work study students like me. There are three Jessicas. Crew is very nice, mostly from Philippines and Jamaica. Had a jam session with another guitarist (teacher’s son named Matt) and a pianist (videographer named Garrett). Transformed my radio into a guitar amp in my room and played for a while before going to sleep, boat rocking but I feel fine. Day 2(Wednesday, August 28): Lat 28º 52.44N Long 076º 16.78W En route to Bahamas. Woke up to see interminable ocean landscape rushing by my window. My room is 3075 (3rd deck, starboard, right around the middle). Worked out a little bit after breakfast, can’t believe I’m out here. Students are all very nice, made some friends already. Work study task of the day was to make magnetic name cards for all the student’s cabins. ... Played some songs for friends, talked to Jack (exec dean) during dinner, fee

Tien Beat - Summer '10

TIEN BEAT - SUMMER '10 Dear Friends, Today I encountered a group of children on the metro and they referred to me as "mister". Clearly I have entered the next stage of my life. Yes, I have turned 23 years old, and the first month or so of my 24th year has been quite pleasant, thank you very much! I had a very nice trip to Maryland, during which I attended my sister's graduation from medical school, played 2 shows in Easton, ate a lot of crabs, helped my sister move to Cleveland (her surgical residency starts soon at the Cleveland Clinic), hung out in Chicago, and returned to Los Angeles, without taking a single shower (almost true). I've moved out of yet another apartment in Los Angeles. I loved Echo Park, the culture, the music, the authentic Mexican tastes of the taco trucks, and so much more, but I did not love the smell of whatever died under the room I was renting, nor was I enamored of the fleas. On May 14th, I graduated from the University of Southern