Skip to main content

Summer 2011

Hello my dear friends and family,

I hope this message finds you well. It's been a year since the last Tien Beat, and I've spent the last year trying to find some type of balance living and working in L.A.

Yesterday marked the fourth anniversary of our loss of Kennedy and Maggie Fitzgerald. As I am reminded of them, I can't help daydreaming about having them here. Maybe Ken would be on Zak's road trip to California and I think Maggie would have been graduating from college. It's just not fair, and it's hard to tell if I am more sad for them or sad for myself and the rest of us. Sometimes it seems so cruel that such joyous people would so consistently be associated with sadness, but I hope you will agree with this sentiment: When you lose the ones you love the most, the ones with whom you've shared countless experiences and emotions, they are a special part of every beautiful landscape, every celebration, every moment of appreciation that you will have for the rest of your life. They are forever inscribed upon the definition of who you are, and they are somewhere in the DNA of your happiness as well as your sadness.

Right now I'm living in Santa Monica, about ten blocks from the Santa Monica Pier. I've been working at the airport for almost a year now, promoting Southwest credit cards, and I just got promoted to being a manager. So, my average work week is 3 days of sales from Monday-Wednesday, 2 days off, and then I sit on the computer in the airport doing schedules and payroll on Saturday and Sunday. It's a pretty good gig. I could probably do this for a while and still make progress on the musical front. I'm in a writing stage, composing my next album, but soon I'll be recording again. I started playing bossa nova songs regularly in an adorable family owned French restaurant, and I also organize an acoustic showcase in a bar nearby.

7 years after I moved away, I'm still trying to find the right mix to make it feel like home. I have amazing friends, lots of hobbies, a good job, and I'm following my dreams, but a big part of me still misses the shore and all my friends who live elsewhere. One of these days I'll have the freedom to go where I want, whenever I want, but for now, I'm doing pretty well, and I hope you are too.

Love,
Tien


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semester at Sea: Nassau, Bahamas

Day 1 Semester at Sea Depart Norfolk, VA for Nassau, Bahamas. Matt, Peg, and Berna toured the ship with me. Couldn’t believe There are 22 work study students like me. There are three Jessicas. Crew is very nice, mostly from Philippines and Jamaica. Had a jam session with another guitarist (teacher’s son named Matt) and a pianist (videographer named Garrett). Transformed my radio into a guitar amp in my room and played for a while before going to sleep, boat rocking but I feel fine. Day 2(Wednesday, August 28): Lat 28º 52.44N Long 076º 16.78W En route to Bahamas. Woke up to see interminable ocean landscape rushing by my window. My room is 3075 (3rd deck, starboard, right around the middle). Worked out a little bit after breakfast, can’t believe I’m out here. Students are all very nice, made some friends already. Work study task of the day was to make magnetic name cards for all the student’s cabins. ... Played some songs for friends, talked to Jack (exec dean) during dinner, fee

Brasil: Primeira Semana

Festa Junina!!!!!! Celebrating the rural culture of Brasil (including dirty mustaches and unibrows) Mini Tien Concert (Mic Stand: Lucas) I'm having the time of my life. I didn't know what night life meant before this trip....seldom has the party ended before 5 a.m. I've met so many wonderful people, everyone is ridiculously hospitable and nice, and my portuguese is improving every day. 9 de Julho: (Rio de Janeiro) took the bus from GIG airport into Leblon. Called Felipe and Renato. Felipe met me at post 12 on Leblon beach. Renato picked us up, ate some Arabic food and had some mate tea. Met Felipe's family at their condo in Alto Leblon. Went to the lagoa (lake), then a Forro (traditional dance/music) club in Lapa (artsy area in Rio, lots of artists, musicians. Love it!). Learned to dance a bit. 10 de Julho: (Rio) got my cell phone working. Went on a walk, took a nap, ventured to Lapa on my own. Saw a band playing in a restaurant, met the guitar player, danced with so

Tien Beat - Summer '10

TIEN BEAT - SUMMER '10 Dear Friends, Today I encountered a group of children on the metro and they referred to me as "mister". Clearly I have entered the next stage of my life. Yes, I have turned 23 years old, and the first month or so of my 24th year has been quite pleasant, thank you very much! I had a very nice trip to Maryland, during which I attended my sister's graduation from medical school, played 2 shows in Easton, ate a lot of crabs, helped my sister move to Cleveland (her surgical residency starts soon at the Cleveland Clinic), hung out in Chicago, and returned to Los Angeles, without taking a single shower (almost true). I've moved out of yet another apartment in Los Angeles. I loved Echo Park, the culture, the music, the authentic Mexican tastes of the taco trucks, and so much more, but I did not love the smell of whatever died under the room I was renting, nor was I enamored of the fleas. On May 14th, I graduated from the University of Southern