Skip to main content

Brasil: Primeira Semana

Festa Junina!!!!!! Celebrating the rural culture of Brasil (including dirty mustaches and unibrows)


Mini Tien Concert (Mic Stand: Lucas)

I'm having the time of my life. I didn't know what night life meant before this trip....seldom has the party ended before 5 a.m. I've met so many wonderful people, everyone is ridiculously hospitable and nice, and my portuguese is improving every day.

9 de Julho: (Rio de Janeiro) took the bus from GIG airport into Leblon. Called Felipe and Renato. Felipe met me at post 12 on Leblon beach. Renato picked us up, ate some Arabic food and had some mate tea. Met Felipe's family at their condo in Alto Leblon. Went to the lagoa (lake), then a Forro (traditional dance/music) club in Lapa (artsy area in Rio, lots of artists, musicians. Love it!). Learned to dance a bit.

10 de Julho: (Rio) got my cell phone working. Went on a walk, took a nap, ventured to Lapa on my own. Saw a band playing in a restaurant, met the guitar player, danced with some ladies. Came back to Felipe's place, talked with his mom.

11 de Julho: (Rio) left my keys in the condo. Went to the beach and worked out. Met Felipe. Internet Cafe, early night.

12 de Julho: (Rio) woke up super late, then took a nap in a hammock. Went to Lapa, met up with my guitarist friend Josemen, watched him play, met his friend (a capoeira teacher in San Francisco), saw a samba band, danced.

13 de Julho: (Rio/Juiz de Fora) Lunch w/ Felipe, took bus to wrong station (rodoviaria), finally got to Juiz de Fora at 8 pm. Met up with Breno, Vanessa, Veronica. Went to a gathering of Breno's medical school friends. Hung out at Republica Laje (Breno's apartment) with a bunch of folks.

14 de Julho: (J.F.) Lunch w/ Vinicius and Breno. Checked out UFJF, Breno's university. Medicina class party at Breno's, then samba w/ Breno to meet Veronica & Friends. My first strawberry Caipirinha. Dancing with beautiful brazilian girls. Sigh.

15 de Julho: (J.F.) Hung out w/ Veronica and Camila, went to the local Cristo statue and sang Backstreet boys songs. FESTA JUNINA!!! Traditional June party w/ Breno's Class. Played a couple songs, danced a lot, great party. Breno lost his glasses and wallet. It was a good night. (We found them)

16 de Julho: woke up at 4 p.m. More samba tonight?

Comments

Ben said…
dude. live it up, i was in rio last summer and had a blast. seems like you're hitting all the right places. don't forget to hit up www.couchsurfing.org ...great tips from the 'community'!

Popular posts from this blog

Semester at Sea: Nassau, Bahamas

Day 1 Semester at Sea Depart Norfolk, VA for Nassau, Bahamas. Matt, Peg, and Berna toured the ship with me. Couldn’t believe There are 22 work study students like me. There are three Jessicas. Crew is very nice, mostly from Philippines and Jamaica. Had a jam session with another guitarist (teacher’s son named Matt) and a pianist (videographer named Garrett). Transformed my radio into a guitar amp in my room and played for a while before going to sleep, boat rocking but I feel fine. Day 2(Wednesday, August 28): Lat 28º 52.44N Long 076º 16.78W En route to Bahamas. Woke up to see interminable ocean landscape rushing by my window. My room is 3075 (3rd deck, starboard, right around the middle). Worked out a little bit after breakfast, can’t believe I’m out here. Students are all very nice, made some friends already. Work study task of the day was to make magnetic name cards for all the student’s cabins. ... Played some songs for friends, talked to Jack (exec dean) during dinner, fee

Semester at Sea: Days 11-15

Day 11 (Friday Sept 5, 2008) Woke up to sounds of crew banging on doors and yelling. It’s Neptune Day. Which means: King Neptune has decided we must be initiated in order to cease our land loving ways and become true shellbacks. Which means: We go up to the pool deck, where the crew, dressed up in togas and aluminum foil helmets, spills mysterious rancid-smelling fish juice over our heads, one by one. For the willing, a head-shaving ritual, in which I participated. Brazil in two days. Day 12 (Saturday Sept 6, 2008) We will be arriving in Salvador tomorrow morning. I think I will be exploring with my roommate and his friends. I fear I have been a little antisocial the past few days, evidenced by lack of any established “crew”, but I guess I’ve been trying to avoid societal overload. Classes are going well. Really excited about the churrascurias (brazilian all you can eat barbecue)! Always a hit in the states, can’t wait to have the real thing. Had our pre-port meetings, lots of warnings