Skip to main content

Los Angeles, post graduation

was mildly concerned about life, but got a job and things have stabilized a bit. Thanks to randomness...made a friend at a Dayplayer show who hired me shortly afterward to be her accounting assistant. It's actually pretty fun. Working for a production company that does commercials and music videos. Also intern at Wyman records when I get the chance.

Random random, thanks to the metro as well. Started taking the bus to and from work. A few nights ago heard a bunch of people speaking what sounded like portuguese sitting behind me. as you might know i took a semester of portuguese and I happen to be in love with Brazil. started a conversation, made friends, invited them to hang out. Breno, Renato, Evandro, Felipe, Kalen, and Paula. met up with them at their hostel and took two of the guys, Renato and Felipe, out w/ my buddies Trevor and James. Went to gold room in Echo Park. Felipe is passionate about education reform, gets along great w/ James. give him my copy of Theatre of the oppressed by Augusto Boal. He is studying theatre in order to become a better teacher. Had a great night, Renato played a bunch of brazilian songs, I played the only bossa song I know, rosa morena, sang together, I played shaker, a good time had by all. Next day we pile the 7 of us into my car and hike griffith park, eat delicious indian food lunch, play in malibu, roll through beverly hills, nap at hostel, take all but evandro out to danceism. Huge dance party, awesome DJ's, renato and felipe get some beijinhos on the dance floor, felipe disappears, he shows up later at the hostel. Had such a great time. They gave me a big brazilian flag blanket at the beach, told me I should have been born in Brazil, open invitation to visit them in Rio/southern brazil. I cannot wait. They introduced me to Roberta Sa and now I'm madly in love. Amazing Brazilian singer...her voice connects with me on a personally unprecedented level...I can't explain it. Need to learn how to speak better portuguese and how to samba!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tien Beat - Summer '10

TIEN BEAT - SUMMER '10 Dear Friends, Today I encountered a group of children on the metro and they referred to me as "mister". Clearly I have entered the next stage of my life. Yes, I have turned 23 years old, and the first month or so of my 24th year has been quite pleasant, thank you very much! I had a very nice trip to Maryland, during which I attended my sister's graduation from medical school, played 2 shows in Easton, ate a lot of crabs, helped my sister move to Cleveland (her surgical residency starts soon at the Cleveland Clinic), hung out in Chicago, and returned to Los Angeles, without taking a single shower (almost true). I've moved out of yet another apartment in Los Angeles. I loved Echo Park, the culture, the music, the authentic Mexican tastes of the taco trucks, and so much more, but I did not love the smell of whatever died under the room I was renting, nor was I enamored of the fleas. On May 14th, I graduated from the University of Southern ...

Semester at Sea: Days 11-15

Day 11 (Friday Sept 5, 2008) Woke up to sounds of crew banging on doors and yelling. It’s Neptune Day. Which means: King Neptune has decided we must be initiated in order to cease our land loving ways and become true shellbacks. Which means: We go up to the pool deck, where the crew, dressed up in togas and aluminum foil helmets, spills mysterious rancid-smelling fish juice over our heads, one by one. For the willing, a head-shaving ritual, in which I participated. Brazil in two days. Day 12 (Saturday Sept 6, 2008) We will be arriving in Salvador tomorrow morning. I think I will be exploring with my roommate and his friends. I fear I have been a little antisocial the past few days, evidenced by lack of any established “crew”, but I guess I’ve been trying to avoid societal overload. Classes are going well. Really excited about the churrascurias (brazilian all you can eat barbecue)! Always a hit in the states, can’t wait to have the real thing. Had our pre-port meetings, lots of warnings...

Semester at Sea: Days 17-30

Day 17 Friday September 12, 2008 (Salvador, Brazil) Hung out with Pedro all day, had some potatoes with butter for breakfast, played guitar in the courtyard with the crosses overlooking the lower city. Met up with his friend Tiago (another one) who works at Ritmo, the music store where I met Pedro. Pedro is in a few reggae bands, won’t get to see him in concert though, bummer. Walked around a bunch, went to an internet cafĂ© and set up a facebook account for him. Ran into Steven (roommate) and went to go buy a Gilberto Gil CD. According to Pedro, Gil is the minister of culture in Brazil. His CD of Bob Marley covers, awesome, been listening to it all day. Said goodbye, went back to the ship, Captain’s barbecue, watched “Walk Hard: Dewey Cox story” in my room with a bunch of people, leaving Brazil, went out on the front of the boat and replayed events of visit in my mind, watching the immense collection of city lights slide away. Very windy, felt like my hair should look like a mess...