Skip to main content

January 2009

Hello all!

I’m back at school…I haven’t been here in a while. Time to plug back into my alter-ego, the west-coast version of Tien. I’m not sure how that is different from the other me’s, but I definitely feel like I’m operating differently already. I had a wonderful holiday season in Maryland…it’s always so hard to leave.

Semester at Sea seems like a lapsed dream. It was a saga so far removed from the familiarity of my usual routines. Even when I look at the pictures, I don’t remember what it felt like to be constantly in transit. I don’t know if it ever really sank in.

I’ve been asked by several people what I learned on my voyage. I don’t think I can provide a satisfactory answer to this question. I couldn’t possibly distill my experience into any single realization, or even a handful of them. Every person I met along the way changed my perspective on the world, perhaps not fundamentally, but in a profound personal way. My most optimistic beliefs about humanity were continually confirmed, while many of my concerns became more immediate, particularly those concerning inequality and poverty.

I was provided with a limited snapshot of a diverse collection of societies within a short amount of time, and these observations will continue to inform me as I seek a deeper understanding of the world. I had an amazing time, I met amazing people, and I am so grateful for what was an unimaginably rich and exhilarating time in my life.

This semester, I plan to record my new songs, rekindle Dayplayer, do well in my classes, experience L.A., and continue my creative progress. I’ll have a degree by next December.

Here’s a picture from the plane to L.A.
Take care, and keep in touch!
Love,
Tien

p.s. FYI my new address is 721 W 32nd St Los Angeles, CA 90007 send letters!

Comments

Jeff said…
Looks like an album cover in the making....

Popular posts from this blog

Semester at Sea: Nassau, Bahamas

Day 1 Semester at Sea Depart Norfolk, VA for Nassau, Bahamas. Matt, Peg, and Berna toured the ship with me. Couldn’t believe There are 22 work study students like me. There are three Jessicas. Crew is very nice, mostly from Philippines and Jamaica. Had a jam session with another guitarist (teacher’s son named Matt) and a pianist (videographer named Garrett). Transformed my radio into a guitar amp in my room and played for a while before going to sleep, boat rocking but I feel fine. Day 2(Wednesday, August 28): Lat 28º 52.44N Long 076º 16.78W En route to Bahamas. Woke up to see interminable ocean landscape rushing by my window. My room is 3075 (3rd deck, starboard, right around the middle). Worked out a little bit after breakfast, can’t believe I’m out here. Students are all very nice, made some friends already. Work study task of the day was to make magnetic name cards for all the student’s cabins. ... Played some songs for friends, talked to Jack (exec dean) during dinner, fee

Tien Beat - Summer '10

TIEN BEAT - SUMMER '10 Dear Friends, Today I encountered a group of children on the metro and they referred to me as "mister". Clearly I have entered the next stage of my life. Yes, I have turned 23 years old, and the first month or so of my 24th year has been quite pleasant, thank you very much! I had a very nice trip to Maryland, during which I attended my sister's graduation from medical school, played 2 shows in Easton, ate a lot of crabs, helped my sister move to Cleveland (her surgical residency starts soon at the Cleveland Clinic), hung out in Chicago, and returned to Los Angeles, without taking a single shower (almost true). I've moved out of yet another apartment in Los Angeles. I loved Echo Park, the culture, the music, the authentic Mexican tastes of the taco trucks, and so much more, but I did not love the smell of whatever died under the room I was renting, nor was I enamored of the fleas. On May 14th, I graduated from the University of Southern

Semester at Sea: Days 11-15

Day 11 (Friday Sept 5, 2008) Woke up to sounds of crew banging on doors and yelling. It’s Neptune Day. Which means: King Neptune has decided we must be initiated in order to cease our land loving ways and become true shellbacks. Which means: We go up to the pool deck, where the crew, dressed up in togas and aluminum foil helmets, spills mysterious rancid-smelling fish juice over our heads, one by one. For the willing, a head-shaving ritual, in which I participated. Brazil in two days. Day 12 (Saturday Sept 6, 2008) We will be arriving in Salvador tomorrow morning. I think I will be exploring with my roommate and his friends. I fear I have been a little antisocial the past few days, evidenced by lack of any established “crew”, but I guess I’ve been trying to avoid societal overload. Classes are going well. Really excited about the churrascurias (brazilian all you can eat barbecue)! Always a hit in the states, can’t wait to have the real thing. Had our pre-port meetings, lots of warnings