Skip to main content

Semester at Sea: China

Gui Lin


Yang Shuo w/ "Little House"

Yang Shuo

Moon Hill in Yang Shuo

Gui Lin


Quick update on my adventures in China:
Hong Kong: roamed around on the train, made my way to SoHo, went to a jazz show and hopped across the street to play at an open mic. Met some people (a girl from hong kong, a couple guys from the states, a girl from new zealand), headed to a pub in Wan Chai and hung out there until about 5 in the morning. Hong Kong stays up late! The next day I found my friends with whom I had planned to travel to Gui Lin, Yang Shuo, and ultimately Shanghai. We found a hotel and went out to the Mainland at night, stayed out too long and woke up late the next morning. Not too late though、thankfully. We made it to the airport with a little time to spare.
Flew to Gui Lin, which was very beautiful. We met the coolest tour guide, Effie, and befriended her. She took us around to a bunch of wonderful sight seeing spots and temples. The mountains are the most noticeable feature. They are narrow and skinny, and there is one range after the other, so that the horizon is filled with layers of their curious sillhouettes. Effie stayed with us after the tour to have dinner, since we were buddies now. She explained that in some Chinese provinces, it is customary for friends to offer each other meals of dog meat, and that friends commonly call each other "dog meat" as a sign of affection. So we were dog meats now, and we had a great time at dinner (an interesting restaurant that operates in a window-shopping manner), and also perusing the night market booths. She laughed at me when I got ripped off. She gleefully recited her knowledge of American curse words, gleaned from our movies.
We slept at the hotel (7 of us, Todd, Nora, Dana, Danika, Megan, Mallory, and myself. Todd facilitated most of the trip), and took a river cruise to Yang Shuo the next day, which was more rustic, and even more beautiful, than Gui Lin. We biked to Moon Mountain, a mountain with a big built-in arch. I should have asked how that happened. I'm really curious now. Bike rides have been extremely satisfying each time during my adventures. I love bikes. Now you know. I guess they have always been fun. My bike riding partners, you know who you are. Let's ride when I get back.
We hung out at the hostel that night, a lively place called Monkey Jane's. It was the kind of hostel you always hope for: Fun, friendly, interactive, and with a cool owner who has a weird name like Monkey Jane. Strange she was. I met a Chinese girl from Hunan province playing the Asian version of hacky sack, her name translates to Little House, which is funny because I always used to eat at House of Hunan after my first job doing data entry at Smith Travel in Easton (no longer in existence, not my fault I hope). Not a huge coincidence, but there I was in Yang Shuo, hanging out with the real live Little House of Hunan. There was a guitar around, music was played, friends were made, and life is good. Shanghai wasn't too exciting, it's ridiculously huge and I never really got a feel for it. Met a cute baby in a restaurant at least.

Now I'm in an internet cafe in Tokyo, I'll let you know how all this goes when I get to reflect a bit. Staying in a capsule hotel tonight, heading to the fish market tomorrow. Kobe homestay was amazing. Stay tuned, pictures coming soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semester at Sea: Nassau, Bahamas

Day 1 Semester at Sea Depart Norfolk, VA for Nassau, Bahamas. Matt, Peg, and Berna toured the ship with me. Couldn’t believe There are 22 work study students like me. There are three Jessicas. Crew is very nice, mostly from Philippines and Jamaica. Had a jam session with another guitarist (teacher’s son named Matt) and a pianist (videographer named Garrett). Transformed my radio into a guitar amp in my room and played for a while before going to sleep, boat rocking but I feel fine. Day 2(Wednesday, August 28): Lat 28º 52.44N Long 076º 16.78W En route to Bahamas. Woke up to see interminable ocean landscape rushing by my window. My room is 3075 (3rd deck, starboard, right around the middle). Worked out a little bit after breakfast, can’t believe I’m out here. Students are all very nice, made some friends already. Work study task of the day was to make magnetic name cards for all the student’s cabins. ... Played some songs for friends, talked to Jack (exec dean) during dinner, fee

Tien Beat - Summer '10

TIEN BEAT - SUMMER '10 Dear Friends, Today I encountered a group of children on the metro and they referred to me as "mister". Clearly I have entered the next stage of my life. Yes, I have turned 23 years old, and the first month or so of my 24th year has been quite pleasant, thank you very much! I had a very nice trip to Maryland, during which I attended my sister's graduation from medical school, played 2 shows in Easton, ate a lot of crabs, helped my sister move to Cleveland (her surgical residency starts soon at the Cleveland Clinic), hung out in Chicago, and returned to Los Angeles, without taking a single shower (almost true). I've moved out of yet another apartment in Los Angeles. I loved Echo Park, the culture, the music, the authentic Mexican tastes of the taco trucks, and so much more, but I did not love the smell of whatever died under the room I was renting, nor was I enamored of the fleas. On May 14th, I graduated from the University of Southern

Semester at Sea: Days 11-15

Day 11 (Friday Sept 5, 2008) Woke up to sounds of crew banging on doors and yelling. It’s Neptune Day. Which means: King Neptune has decided we must be initiated in order to cease our land loving ways and become true shellbacks. Which means: We go up to the pool deck, where the crew, dressed up in togas and aluminum foil helmets, spills mysterious rancid-smelling fish juice over our heads, one by one. For the willing, a head-shaving ritual, in which I participated. Brazil in two days. Day 12 (Saturday Sept 6, 2008) We will be arriving in Salvador tomorrow morning. I think I will be exploring with my roommate and his friends. I fear I have been a little antisocial the past few days, evidenced by lack of any established “crew”, but I guess I’ve been trying to avoid societal overload. Classes are going well. Really excited about the churrascurias (brazilian all you can eat barbecue)! Always a hit in the states, can’t wait to have the real thing. Had our pre-port meetings, lots of warnings