Skip to main content

August 07

Dear Friends and Family,

Over the past week, it became clear to me how important you are in my life, and that I should do a better job keeping in touch. If you know what I'm up to, and I know what you're up to, we can continue to be involved in each other's growth and well-being. I care greatly about all of you, and there are so many events that I've missed over the past few years. So many times, after hearing stories of friends going to concerts, traveling, graduations, and so forth, I've thought, I wish I had known about it, I would have flown over for that in a heartbeat. I keep getting all these free flights because I get stuck at the airport so much (so far on my way home i've been stuck in D.C. and Fort Lauderdale for a night each), and I'd love to make it back for exciting and important as well as random and trivial moments in your lives.

OK, so here is a reflection on what is going on with me, a newsletter of sorts, something we will affectionately refer to as:

TIEN BEAT august two thousand and seven

My fall classes at USC are starting in 4 hours, and I will be sitting in my first class as a philosophy major. As I mentioned before, I got stuck in D.C. and Fort Lauderdale for the past two nights, so currently I'm sitting in an aisle seat on a Boeing 737. These are the kinds of situations that no longer stress me out. I have no control over the chaos of air traffic control, and though I may miss a few classes, I can spend that time reading a book, writing a song, or meeting someone. Why invest energy in self-destructive anger? Time is too precious to be yelling at flight attendants.

Something deep inside me has shifted as a result of our immense loss, and my recent ruminations/discussions have led me to an unwavering conviction in Plan A. Plan A is the life that I want to lead. Plan A involves short term and long term goals. Plan A is a philosophy. Plan A is never taking a day for granted.

Plan A (to be revised and expanded continuously as desired)

1.) Love. Recklessly. Generously.

2.) Create inspiring and insightful music that will reach millions (I have this posted on a big poster board in my room)
Side note: give me your address and I will send you cd's of any music that I create. If you haven't yet, check out the websites for my band, Dayplayer, and my Solo page. Dayplayer will have a demo done by Christmas.

3.) Travel. What's all this jazz about Semester at Sea? Anyone else curious, envious, and willing?
Side note: I visited the overseas office today and they do not offer a semester at sea program or a vietnam program. Yet. Can you believe that? It took the receptionist a few minutes to realize that I wasn't taking no for an answer, but I have an appointment with the director tomorrow to talk about this small flap in my plans

4.) Learn. All of these philosophy classes will probably make my mind explode. I will share these brain busting revelations in future editions of "Tien Beat"

5.) Save the world. This is a daunting task, so I'm going to partially delegate it to Barack Obama. I'm working on his campaign now; I hope that you'll do some research on what he stands for, and when you realize how amazing he is, I hope you will get off your butt and vote.

6.) Support all of this with work that supports my growth and my spirit

That's a lot to do. Let me know what you're up to. Let's support each other in this awesome adventure, this unbounded opportunity, this wonderful, yet transient, gift of life. And, of course, never ever hesitate to call me. (213) 369-1969. Please forward this to whoever you think would like to receive it!

Love,
Tien

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semester at Sea: Nassau, Bahamas

Day 1 Semester at Sea Depart Norfolk, VA for Nassau, Bahamas. Matt, Peg, and Berna toured the ship with me. Couldn’t believe There are 22 work study students like me. There are three Jessicas. Crew is very nice, mostly from Philippines and Jamaica. Had a jam session with another guitarist (teacher’s son named Matt) and a pianist (videographer named Garrett). Transformed my radio into a guitar amp in my room and played for a while before going to sleep, boat rocking but I feel fine. Day 2(Wednesday, August 28): Lat 28º 52.44N Long 076º 16.78W En route to Bahamas. Woke up to see interminable ocean landscape rushing by my window. My room is 3075 (3rd deck, starboard, right around the middle). Worked out a little bit after breakfast, can’t believe I’m out here. Students are all very nice, made some friends already. Work study task of the day was to make magnetic name cards for all the student’s cabins. ... Played some songs for friends, talked to Jack (exec dean) during dinner, fee

Semester at Sea: Days 11-15

Day 11 (Friday Sept 5, 2008) Woke up to sounds of crew banging on doors and yelling. It’s Neptune Day. Which means: King Neptune has decided we must be initiated in order to cease our land loving ways and become true shellbacks. Which means: We go up to the pool deck, where the crew, dressed up in togas and aluminum foil helmets, spills mysterious rancid-smelling fish juice over our heads, one by one. For the willing, a head-shaving ritual, in which I participated. Brazil in two days. Day 12 (Saturday Sept 6, 2008) We will be arriving in Salvador tomorrow morning. I think I will be exploring with my roommate and his friends. I fear I have been a little antisocial the past few days, evidenced by lack of any established “crew”, but I guess I’ve been trying to avoid societal overload. Classes are going well. Really excited about the churrascurias (brazilian all you can eat barbecue)! Always a hit in the states, can’t wait to have the real thing. Had our pre-port meetings, lots of warnings

Tien Beat - Summer '10

TIEN BEAT - SUMMER '10 Dear Friends, Today I encountered a group of children on the metro and they referred to me as "mister". Clearly I have entered the next stage of my life. Yes, I have turned 23 years old, and the first month or so of my 24th year has been quite pleasant, thank you very much! I had a very nice trip to Maryland, during which I attended my sister's graduation from medical school, played 2 shows in Easton, ate a lot of crabs, helped my sister move to Cleveland (her surgical residency starts soon at the Cleveland Clinic), hung out in Chicago, and returned to Los Angeles, without taking a single shower (almost true). I've moved out of yet another apartment in Los Angeles. I loved Echo Park, the culture, the music, the authentic Mexican tastes of the taco trucks, and so much more, but I did not love the smell of whatever died under the room I was renting, nor was I enamored of the fleas. On May 14th, I graduated from the University of Southern