Skip to main content

Heard this gem at work today


Was trimming today and this came on the "radio".

It's cumbia, but it might be fun to play it as a forro...

Colombians have porro, Brazilians have forro.  Wonder what the history is?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tien Beat - Summer '10

TIEN BEAT - SUMMER '10 Dear Friends, Today I encountered a group of children on the metro and they referred to me as "mister". Clearly I have entered the next stage of my life. Yes, I have turned 23 years old, and the first month or so of my 24th year has been quite pleasant, thank you very much! I had a very nice trip to Maryland, during which I attended my sister's graduation from medical school, played 2 shows in Easton, ate a lot of crabs, helped my sister move to Cleveland (her surgical residency starts soon at the Cleveland Clinic), hung out in Chicago, and returned to Los Angeles, without taking a single shower (almost true). I've moved out of yet another apartment in Los Angeles. I loved Echo Park, the culture, the music, the authentic Mexican tastes of the taco trucks, and so much more, but I did not love the smell of whatever died under the room I was renting, nor was I enamored of the fleas. On May 14th, I graduated from the University of Southern ...

Semester at Sea: Days 11-15

Day 11 (Friday Sept 5, 2008) Woke up to sounds of crew banging on doors and yelling. It’s Neptune Day. Which means: King Neptune has decided we must be initiated in order to cease our land loving ways and become true shellbacks. Which means: We go up to the pool deck, where the crew, dressed up in togas and aluminum foil helmets, spills mysterious rancid-smelling fish juice over our heads, one by one. For the willing, a head-shaving ritual, in which I participated. Brazil in two days. Day 12 (Saturday Sept 6, 2008) We will be arriving in Salvador tomorrow morning. I think I will be exploring with my roommate and his friends. I fear I have been a little antisocial the past few days, evidenced by lack of any established “crew”, but I guess I’ve been trying to avoid societal overload. Classes are going well. Really excited about the churrascurias (brazilian all you can eat barbecue)! Always a hit in the states, can’t wait to have the real thing. Had our pre-port meetings, lots of warnings...

After the first couple weeks of school

A couple of weeks into the semester, here's what's going on. We officially have a new president.  I will be following his actions closely, with optimism.  Classes are really great, I have a monkey class, a class taught by the current state treasurer of California, a class about what happens when we do things, and a class where we're currently learning about what people think about the meaning of words.  In other words, I have an anthropology class, a political science class, and two philosophy classes.   I went to the beach today and swung on the rings.  This will be a regular occurrence this semester:  taking advantage of the proximity of beaches.  Why not do homework on the sand? I'm at my dad's house right now...I haven't seen him in about 6 months, and it's the Vietnamese new year!  Hooray!